Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Post Mauna Kea - Day 1 on the Big Island

Interesting signs about invisible cows!

Theres a sign for everything in this country and I am learning to read between them!

A view of Mauna Lea the active volcano from Mauna kea. The dark patches are not shadows of clouds but lava flows, cooled off ones of course!

Pteroglyph site

Watched over by the volcanoes

Coral lined beach

We were guessing this was a turtle

I am in a land where everything is a sign or a posted note, don't need to ask anyone anything, if only I could read, see.. Sorry cdn't get the first image to rotate.
I was always pronouncing it Teroglyphs till I hear the american way which is to say Pteroglyphs! Still can't pronounce the P though.
We drove for more than an hour from Mauna Kea to get to the West coast of the 'big island' as Hawaii is called. The landscape was barren or overgrown with fodder grass at some places, where ranches had come up. The army has a lot of land here too.
At Puuokohola a little away from the beach, a white coral lined beach (where needless to say we shed our travel clothes and waded in the water, is a trail through Prosopis that leads to the most silence that I have encountered on land (actually when I was in the lava tube I did encounter more silence but that story is for tomorrow).
All around us was the holy mountains of the Hawaiian people and somewhere in the middle this ancient sketches on rock. I think it was also the time of day that made it special, towards dusk. Read more about the Pteroglyphs at http://www.hale-hoola.com/Hawaii-Petroglyphs.htm 

No comments:

Post a Comment