Sunday, February 20, 2011

Not older just more literate...









I can't help reading this sign which says 'Visitors Welcome', every time I pass by. It stands at the entrance to the Japanese garden in front of the dorm. I can't remember a sign put up as an invitation, except as a conference banner!

I burnt my tongue the other day eating fries. My first reaction was to look if the bag had a sign which said 'Hot- Let cool before eating' or something.... Getting too used to reading for a living.

Listened to a talk by poet Stephen Winduo from Papua New Guinea - Chewing Buai and Poetry in Papua New Guinea . Buai = Betel nut. 840 languages in PNG, largely alive through an oral tradition.

Heard another scholar who works on 10th century english manuscripts say that literacy reduces memory power. Well next time someone says its because I am getting older I can counter by saying " I am just getting more literate "

No comments:

Post a Comment